Richard Maloney, and the Blokes United co-founders, Barry Hall & Shaun Higgins (both AFL greats). They were all passionate about men's mental health, and in an effort to stop / slow men's suicide numbers and provide a safe and suppportive space for men to openly communicate about their challenges and feelings, they formed 'Blokes United' - which is a 24,000 strong mens only Facebook forum. Created during the second Melbourne 4 month long lockdown in order to assist men in tough times, the group has had huge media support featuring on Channel 7 & Network 9, and in multiple newspapers and online forums.
They now have members across 70 countries, and during the peak of the lockdown these three men all donated a significant amount of time filtering the forum and running weekly live zoom shows to keep men busy which included guests such as Eddie McGuire, Billy Brownless, Danny Green, the Moloney Twins, and Damien Oliver, to name just a few. They also had industry experts featuring, including your own CEO, Glen Poole and Colin Seery, CEO of Lifeline.
They also set up free online daily and weekly wellness classes, including meditation, personal training, yoga, fishing classes, cooking and mental health classes, all for free.
The page is here https://www.facebook.com/groups/blokesunite
BLOKES UNITED: FORUM RULES
- Welcome! Please note. This forum is governed by this rule. -> ‘If you do not have anything positive or supportive to say in the posts, then do not say it, as you will be removed from the group.
- Any form of racism, abuse, putting down others, or inappropriate language will not be tolerated and will result in posts and members being removed and blocked from the group.
- Please note. You must be male and over 18 years of age to be in this forum.
- Blokes United is the brainchild of Richard Maloney, Founder of Quality Mind Global and Mind Mentor. Shaun Higgins, AFL All Australian, and Barry Hall, AFL Hall of Fame. All three are co-founders and met through Richard's mentoring.
- Please note. "Being Harmless to Self and Harmless to Others is Our Motto". If your comment is harmful in any capacity you will be instantly removed and blocked.
- Please note that due to the large numbers in our BU forum 'not all posts are shared' and if you are to share please keep the vibe upbeat as much as possible.
- Please note this is a mates/blokes forum with the aim of building new friendships, business networks, camaraderie, sharing a laugh, and its use is to offer basic support to each other like you would if you met your buddy at the bar or popped in for a coffee. We are not professional health care workers. If you need further assistance the details are below.
- Please note that due to the multiple requests we get per day we have chosen to not promote *money-raising requests, *promotion of businesses, and *any political or religious based posts.
- Please note that we a Not For Profit organisation which means we are always looking for sponsors and partners to assist BU, with all proceeds going back into the community.
- If you need assistance, please take action now from one of these reputable and NFP organizations.
https://ndh.org.au (debt helpline)
Blokes United is almost 12 months old, and Richard, Barry & Shaun continue to donate their time free of charge. There have been many men comment that the support from Blokes United has brought them back from the brink of suicide and despair. My husband has shared so many moving stories with me about how so many of these men rely on Blokes to keep them connected, and would otherwise have no outlet or support. These men all rally behind each other and I know that for many, it has been life changing. I had no idea how many men feel alone or isolated, and in Blokes United they now have a like minded community of guys to talk to and open up to. It's a safe space to be vulnerable and honest, and I truly believe that Richard, Barry & Shaun deserve to be recognised for all that they've done and continue to do without expecting anything in return.
Nominated by Kristen Maloney